Dear Camp Simpresca Camp Friends & Families,
With the camping season underway, we are so happy to be able to open our doors once again. However, we know that the risk of COVID-19 infection is not entirely gone.
Camp Simpresca continues to follow the guidelines and advisories set by the provincial government and the Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit regarding vaccination status and participation in overnight camp activities.
We will be asking parents, campers, to do the following before coming to camp:
- Screen or do a rapid test if available on campers within 24 hours of sending them to camp. If they are positive, they would be fully refunded or moved to another session, as per the parent’s request.
- Please do not send your child to camp if they are ill, even if they do not have COVID-19. Contact our registrar, and we will do what we can to accommodate them in another week or provide a full or partial refund.
While at camp, we will do the following to prevent the possible spread of COVID-19 and other contagious illnesses:
- Campers will sanitize their hands before meals and before using shared equipment
- Bunks and cabins will be sanitized between camp sessions
- Washrooms and other high-touch surfaces will be sanitized regularly
- Isolate and test sick campers at camp. If campers receive a positive result on a COVID-19 rapid test, they will be sent home from camp. The camp will discuss the possibility of return to camp, or a partial refund on a case-by-case basis.
As with schools, we will not be requiring that all campers be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to attend camp. We strongly urge all parents speak with their family doctor and take their advice on vaccination for your child. From our understanding, vaccination can greatly reduce the severity of COVID-19 symptoms in children and adults. See the Health Canada recommendations on COVID-19 immunization for more information.
All staff at Camp Simpresca will be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and will be screened on a regular basis.
Parents should recognize that due to the prevalence of COVID-19 in the population, and the virus’ potential ability to escape vaccinated or natural immunity, we cannot promise that Camp Simpresca (like any public place) will be able to completely isolate itself from COVID-19, or other contagious illnesses.
We take public health seriously at camp, and will continue to work with medical professionals to ensure that we do everything reasonable to reduce or eliminate the chance of illness at camp. We appreciate your assistance in helping us do that by screening your child before camp, and by keeping sick campers at home where they can receive the best care.